The Grotto of the Nativity - Star of Bethleham


I walked through the church to this underground cave called the Grotto or cave of the Nativity, where Jesus is said to have been born.

Again, I felt very strange in this place, it wasn't because of the Muslim influence this time, it was because of the overly religious feel of the place, between the Greek Orthodox priests walking around and praying to all of the symbolism and religous decorations. I know that this is typical of most religious sites, but it just didn't feel like what I have read about in the Bible about the nativity location of Jesus' birth.




So you walk down into this cave area and the two main sights are the Star of Bethleham, The exact spot is marked beneath an altar by a 14-pointed silver star set into the marble floor and surrounded by silver lamps. This altar is denominationally neutral, although it features primarily Armenian Apostolic influences. Another altar in the Grotto, which is maintained by the Roman Catholics, marks the site where traditionally Mary laid the newborn Baby in the manger.

This is the manger.

















And to the left here is the actual 14 point Silver Star of Bethleham. And a piece of artwork that was on the wall in the cave portraying the birth of Jesus.

No comments: