The Dominus Flevit Church on top of the Mount of Olives

The last place that I stopped was at this place called the sanctuary church of Dominus Flevit, which translates from Latin as "The Lord Wept", it was fashioned in the shape of a teardrop. Here, according to the 19th chapter of the Gospel of Luke, Jesus, while walking toward the city, becomes overwhelmed by the beauty of the Second Temple and, predicting its future destruction, weeps openly. Luke 19, 37-42.
One of the newest churches in Jerusalem, Dominus Flevit sits atop an ancient site. During construction of the sanctuary archeologists uncovered artifacts dating back to the Canaanite period, as well as tombs from both the Second Temple and Byzantine eras. Also unearthed was a 7th century Byzantine shrine, of which some mosaics remain.














Finally, I made my way back down and started walking home. This picture shows the three main sights on the Mount. The Church of All Nations, the church of Mary Magdalene, and to the upper right, you can barely see the Dominus Flevit church.











I had seen this camel on top of the Mount, and as I was walking home I found out who it belongs to. . .











this guy!!

Well it was quite a day and considering I walked the entire day, I was whiped and headed home.

No comments: