It's still very strange to understand how the Arabs continue to control this place, especially if you study the wars that Israel have had and still they gave it up to the Muslims, and you can really feel the difference when you walk from the Western Wall, which is right next to this Dome and when you enter this area. There's a coldness to it. But the history of this mosque is absolutely fascinating. Check out this website for info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_of_the_Rock
It is the oldest Islamic building in the world, dating back to 691 AD. I wish I could have gone inside of it, but it was closed to tourists.
I almost didn't get into the area at all. There was a huge line of tourists when I arrived and they stop allowing entries at 2:30 and when I reached the security area it was 2:25 and the guard said "no more", there was a couple in front of me and that's it, but after some begging he let us in, we were the last ones. Also it's only open to the public on Mondays and Thursdays, but I made it. As I walked around, it was hard to take it all in, the history, the Muslim feel, the knowledge that this was also sacred for me as a Christian, and for the Jews, and to see the Arab kids playing soccer, and the Arab families huddled in certain areas having picnics, and to just feel the awkward vibe of it all, was hard to take in. It didn't feel spiritual, it felt tense, and that has everything to do with the Arab people. They are pushy, a bit hostile and of course suspicious of tourists. And before you know it, after taking these pics, they were rushing the tourists out saying "Time is up, time to go!" I just wanted to sit there for a while, and ponder the history of the place, but I couldn't. It was frustrating!
I also thought about the Third Temple that will be built in this area and wondered when that will occur, and to think of the events that will lead up to that, and I felt peace, knowing that God has orchestrated every little detail of what has happened and will happen in this area. It has always been God's temple and continues to be today.
+of+July+07+083.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment