Today I was invited to go to Tiberias by Doris, my German friend that I met at Christ Church the other day. She had a friend, Esther, from Texas volunteering at Joseph's Storehouse, the food and clothing ministry at Vision for Israel, so I took her up on it and we headed for Tiberias. Our first stop was this place, Beit Shean Park National Park. We ended up driving a longer route, passed Jericho, along the Jordan River so we could check this place out. It was worth it! This place is still being excavated and they think they've only found half of it, but what they've found is pretty remarkable. It dates back to around the 15th century BC, and most notably referred in the Bible as a conquest of King David. Here's a website for more info. . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beit_Shean or if you're interested check out this video of Simon Zealotes song in the movie, Jesus Christ Superstar, of which I am not a fan, but it was filmed in this location. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X348pXy7LpI
I was amazed at the size of these pillars, so here's my best Sampson pose! And a pic of Doris, Esther and myself.
This is a view from the top, again I was amazed at the size of this, and I wondered how they excavated it because all of it was completely buried by an earthquake.
And for me this was really incredible. This is the place where King Saul and his three sons were killed and hung on the outside gates of the city. Pretty fascinating!
+of+July+07+083.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment