Walking the Ramparts



So I climbed up the steps and entered onto the ramparts. I kept thinking of all the wars that had taken place here throughout the centuries, and how many soldiers had been on these walls defending the City.
















Especially when you see the vantage point that being on top gives you. This view is looking West onto Jerusalem, towards the area that I am staying.











This is a view of the Benedictine abbey on Mt. Zion just outside the walls near the Zion Gate.
It was formerly known as the Abbey of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, but the name was changed in 1998 in reference to the church of Hagia Sion that formerly stood on this spot.

According to local tradition, it was on this spot, near the site of the Last Supper, that the Virgin Mary passed into eternity. This gave the original monastery its name, the Basilica of the Assumption (or Dormition).


I walked all along the west side until I came to the area of the Jewish Quarter, which is where the Western Wall is located. There were some really great views like this one. But it was really hot today, so I walked back the same way I had come and decided to head home to cool down a bit.







Kind of like this guy, he has the idea, just chill out and relax in whatever makes you happy!

No comments: